During this challenging time, we've put together this list of local resources for our families. We'll add new content as we learn more - and be mindful that services may change, end, expand, or more over the coming days - and information included below, while accurate when posted, may become out of date.
Check the links provided and always call first.
- Catholic Charities of Des Plaines. 1717 Rand Road, Des Plaines. Open Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m.; Wednesdays, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1-6 p.m. Bring an ID; food distributed via a car line. Call 847.376.2100.
- Maine Township Food Pantry. 1700 Ballard Road, Park Ridge. During this time, the Pantry is serving residents Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. However, normal hours are Tuesday-Friday, 1-4 p.m. Call 847.297.2510 x 236 before you go.
- McAllister’s Deli 9465 North Milwaukee Avenue, Niles. Will provide two lunches for children per adult present. No purchase is required. Hours 10:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. but longer hours aren’t permanent. Call 847.423.2607 to check.
- Niles Township Food Pantry. 5255 Lincoln Ave, Skokie. Monday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday: 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 1-3:30 p.m. Tuesday: 9:30-11:30 a.m., 1-3:30 p.m., 4:30-6:30 p.m. Call 847.983.0073.
- Northwest Compass, Inc. Food Connection Program. 1300 West Northwest Highway, Mount Prospect. Open Monday & Tuesday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m, Wednesday 9 a.m. - 7 p.m., Thursday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. -12 p.m.. CALL BEFORE YOU GO: 847.392.2344.
- Self Help Closet and Pantry of Des Plaines, 600 E. Algonquin Rd, Des Plaines. Open Tuesdays, 12:30-3 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Call 847.375.1443.
- Tap House, 1472 Market Street, Des Plaines. Kids eat free Monday – Friday, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Free Brown Paper Bag Lunch for any K-12 child in need; just call ahead to schedule a pickup. Call 847.813.9996.
- ComEd has suspended service disconnections for customers who cannot pay, and is waiving new late payment charges through at least May 1. It is also offering its most flexible payment arrangements and energy financial assistance - working with every customer on a case-by-case basis to find payment arrangements and identity the best fit. Visit ComEd.com or call 800.334.7661, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Finally, a reminder that you can conduct regular business with ComEd online 24/7 or through the ComEd Mobile App.
- Peoples Gas: Effective immediately, customer's service will not be disconnected for non-payment, at least through the end of March. Contact Residential Customer Service at 866.556.6001, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Saturday,7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Internet: Check out our Low Cost Internet Webpage. Also, Comcast is offering comprehensive resources and support during this time with free service and more.
- Niles Family Services, 999 Civic Center Drive, Niles. Although the office is currently closed, 24/7 crisis support will continue to be offered to Niles residents and/or students/families that attend a Niles School. Contact 847.588.8460 and follow prompts indicating this is an emergency/crisis situation to be connected with a crisis worker.