With the upcoming retirement of Superintendent Dr. Scott Clay, D63's Board of Education is working to identify and bring on board a new Superintendent, who will step into the role on July 1, 2022. The Board's goal is to identify a final candidate by mid-December, 2021.
To manage the search, the Board has retained BWP & Associates, a Libertyville-based firm that has managed similar searches for a number of nearby Districts.
On November 11, BWP & Associates presented eight candidates to the Board of Education in closed session for additional consideration based on a detailed set of criteria (see below). These candidates will be interviewed after Thanksgiving; the Board will identify one-three finalists out of this group.
Superintendent Candidate Profile & Selection Criteria
Family, staff, and community input is important to the process. Thanks to all of those who shared their feedback either through the family survey or focus group!
About 12 percent of our families and staff members responded to the survey - for a total of 357 surveys. Key findings:
- The three most significant strengths of D63 selected were its excellent teachers and staff, culture, and supportive community.
- The three most important skills respondents wished to see in a Superintendent were communications, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
- The three most important characteristics respondents wished a Superintendent to exhibit were integrity and trustworthiness, the ability to make good decisions/problem solve, and being child centered.
- When asked to indicate what types of experience were "extremely important," the top three answers were experience in a multi-cultural environment, as a classroom teacher, and in a district serving a substantial percentage of low-income families.
- According to respondents, the most important issues/concerns facing D63 in the next five years are educational options and programs, equity, curriculum, and personnel.
Timeline & Details (subject to change)
November 1: Applications close.
November 11: BWP presents a semi-finalize slate of candidates to the Board
December 1: Board wraps up candidate interviews; selects one to three finalists
December 9: Board wraps up finalist interviews
Target: contract approved for new Superintendent week of December 13 or January 3.