During this challenging time, we've put together this list of local resources for our families. We'll add new content as we learn more - and be mindful that services may change, end, expand, or more over the coming days - and information included below, while accurate when posted, may become out of date.
Check the links provided and always call first.
- Catholic Charities of Des Plaines. 1717 Rand Road, Des Plaines. Open Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m.; Wednesdays, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1-6 p.m. Bring an ID; food distributed via a car line. Call 847.376.2100.
- Illinois Department of Human Services SNAP Benefits. This is a special benefit that can help you buy food for your 3-22 year old children who qualify for free or reduced-price meals when school is in session.
- Maine Township Food Pantry. 1700 Ballard Road, Park Ridge. During this time, the Pantry is serving residents Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. However, normal hours are Tuesday-Friday, 1-4 p.m. Call 847.297.2510 x 236 before you go.
- Niles Township Food Pantry. 5255 Lincoln Ave, Skokie. Monday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday: 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 1-3:30 p.m. Tuesday: 9:30-11:30 a.m., 1-3:30 p.m., 4:30-6:30 p.m. Call 847.983.0073.
- Northwest Compass, Inc. Food Connection Program. 1300 West Northwest Highway, Mount Prospect. Open Monday & Tuesday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m, Wednesday 9 a.m. - 7 p.m., Thursday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. -12 p.m.. CALL BEFORE YOU GO: 847.392.2344.
- Self Help Closet and Pantry of Des Plaines, 600 E. Algonquin Rd, Des Plaines. Open Tuesdays, 12:30-3 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Call 847.375.1443.
Utilities & Rental Assistance
- ComEd can help of you're having trouble paying your ibill. Visit ComEd.com or call 800.334.7661, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Finally, a reminder that you can conduct regular business with ComEd online 24/7 or through the ComEd Mobile App.
- Peoples Gas: Effective immediately, customer's service will not be disconnected for non-payment, at least through the end of March. Contact Residential Customer Service at 866.556.6001, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Saturday,7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Internet: Check out our Low Cost Internet Webpage. Also, Comcast is offering comprehensive resources and support during this time with free service and more.
- Illinois Housing Development Authority: now offiering help if you can't pay your rent due to COVID-19 through its Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) Program.
- Cook County COVID-19 Recovery - Rental Assistance Program: designed for suburban Cook County residents who have been affected by COVID-19 and need rental assistance.
- Niles Family Services, 999 Civic Center Drive, Niles. Although the office is currently closed, 24/7 crisis support will continue to be offered to Niles residents and/or students/families that attend a Niles School. Contact 847.588.8460 and follow prompts indicating this is an emergency/crisis situation to be connected with a crisis worker.
- Maine Township MaineStay Youth & Family Services. MaineStay is offering telehealth services exclusively and continues to provide affordable counseling and psychiatric services via video or phone sessions. All fees for counseling services have temporarily been waived due to the financial hardship COVID-19 is causing for so many families.
- Call4Calm: Illinois Department of Human Services' free and anonymous support line. To speak to a mental health professional, text the word “TALK” or “HABLAR” (for Spanish speakers) to 552-020. Within 24 hours, you'll receive a call from a mental health professional employed by a local community health center. People can also text other terms, like “unemployment” or “food” or “shelter” to the same number to receive information on how to navigate and access supports and services.
- National Suicide Prevention Houline: The Lifeline provides 24/7 free and confidential support for people in distress, and prevention and crsisi resources for you or your loved ones. Call 800.273.8255.
School Day Child Care
- D63 Expanded Learning. During this time of remote learning, D63 is offering child care during the school day with support for 63 Online learning at no cost. Services are provided at the District's Family Resource Center in Des Plaines. Slots are capped and the program may be at capacity, however, there is a waitlist.
- Des Plaines KinderCare. Offers care and distance learning support for K-6th grade students during the school day.
- Golf Maine Park District Kampus Kids. Offers care and distance learning support for K-8th grade students during the school day.