About Melzer School
Melzer serves more than 480 PreK-4th grade students living in Morton Grove and Niles. One of East Maine School District 63's five elementary schools, it offers a full range of services for academic, social, emotional, and physical growth. Melzer students attend the District's Gemini Middle School -- and then Maine East High School.At Melzer, we celebrate diversity and the individual gifts that each child brings to our school community. Thirty-one languages are spoken in the school -- including Assyrian, Polish, Urdu, Pilipino, Malayalam, and more. Seventy-seven percent of our students live in homes in which a language other than English is spoken.Melzer's teaching team is made up of dedicated professionals who care deeply about helping students succeed in and out of the classroom. We focus on providing rigorous instruction based on the Common Core State Standards in a differentiated manner that allows every child to learn. Our school also features:
- Technology-enhanced classrooms.
- Band and orchestra programs.
- An active PTO that sponsors annual events throughout the school year including a Valentine's Day dance, movie nights, book fairs, and more.
- A Science Club and other school-sponsored activities.
- Strong community partnerships with area businesses, social service agencies, and local government.
- Special needs services. While many students are successful in general education classes, the District offers programming for multi-needs and ASD students, primary and intermediate life skills classrooms, and an extended school year (ESY) summer school.
- Kindergarten readiness summer school for at-risk students.
- ELL services, including access to bilingual preschool and ELL summer school -- as well as native language support for students.
Melzer families also have access to a rich array of District-wide programs, including:
At Melzer, we know parents play a key role in their children's education -- and we welcome parent participation. Don't hesitate to contact us with questions or concerns!
- The First Steps Preschool, which serves more than 200 preschoolers through programs for at-risk and special needs children, and a general tuition-based community program. Melzer also serves as one of the District's community preschool sites.
- Free ELL classes for parents and Bilingual Parent Advisory Council.
- The award-winning Expanded Learning Program, serving more than 275 students annually in its afterschool program. Expanded Learning also offers school break programs for winter, spring, and summer; basketball and volleyball leagues; open gym nights; and teen programs.