About Gemini Middle School
Gemini, home of the Mustangs, serves more than 1,060 6th-8th grade students living in portions (some unincorporated) of Des Plaines, Glenview, Morton Grove, Niles, and Park Ridge. One of East Maine School District 63's seven schools -- and the only middle school -- it offers a full range of services for academic, social, emotional, and physical growth. Gemini students attend Maine East High School.At Gemini, we celebrate diversity and the individual gifts that each child brings to our school community. Forty-three languages are spoken in the school -- including Spanish, Gujarati, Malayalam, Polish, Assyrian, and more. Eighty percent of our students live in homes in which a language other than English is spoken.Gemini's teaching team is made up of dedicated professionals who care deeply about helping students succeed in and out of the classroom. We focus on providing rigorous instruction based on the Common Core State Standards in a differentiated manner that allows every child to learn. Our school also features:
- Technology-enhanced classrooms.
- An extensive sports program.
- Band and orchestra programs, as well as a choir program.
- An active PTSO that sponsors annual events throughout the school year, including family movie nights, dances, holiday parties, and more.
- A strong Student Council, as well as yearbook, drama, speech, and other clubs.
- Strong community partnerships with area businesses, social service agencies, and local government.
- Special needs services. While many students are successful in general education classes, the District offers programming for multi-needs and ASD students, primary and intermediate life skills classrooms, and an extended school year (ESY) summer school.
- For Gemini families with younger children, Kindergarten readiness summer school for at-risk students.
- ELL services, including access to bilingual preschool and ESL summer school for Gemini families with younger children -- as well as native language support for students.
Gemini families also have access to a rich array of District-wide programs, including:
At Gemini, we know parents play a key role in their children's education -- and we welcome parent participation. Don't hesitate to contact us with questions or concerns!
- The First Steps Preschool, which serves more than 200 preschoolers through programs for at-risk and special needs children, and a general tuition-based community program. Currently housed in three of D63's elementary school, First Steps will open a new, free-standing early learning center in 2020.
- Free ELL classes for parents and the Bilingual Parent Advisory Council.
- The award-winning Expanded Learning Program, serving more than 275 students annually in its afterschool program. Expanded Learning also offers school break programs for winter, spring, and summer; basketball and volleyball leagues; open gym nights; and teen programs.
- Our D63 Family Resource Center, which offers a wide array of free and low-cost programming to parents, students, and the whole family.