Community Resources/Social Services
- Catholic Charities of Des Plaines. 1717 Rand Road, Des Plaines. Open Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1-3 p.m.; Wednesdays, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1-6 p.m. Bring an ID; food distributed via a car line. Call 847.376.2100.
- Illinois Department of Human Services: Pandemic SNAP Benefits. This is a special, temporary benefit that can help you buy food for your 3-22 year old children who qualify for free or reduced-price meals when school is in session.
- Maine Township Food Pantry. 1700 Ballard Road, Park Ridge. The pantry is open between the hours of 10:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. on Tuesdays and Fridays. For additional information, call 847.297.2510 x 236.
- Niles Township Food Pantry. 8341 Lockwood Avenue, Skokie. Pantry hours are Monday/Wednesday/Thursday: 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 1-3:30 p.m. Tuesday: 4:30-6:30 p.m. Friday 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 4:15-6 p.m. Call 847.983.0073.
- Niles Family Services Food Pantry. 999 Civic Center Drive, Niles. Open Monday/Tuesday/Thursday 9:30-11:30 a.m.; 2:30-4:30 p.m. Open Wednesday/Friday 9:30-11:30 .m.
- Northwest Compass, Inc. Food Connection Program. 1300 West Northwest Highway, Mount Prospect. CALL BEFORE YOU GO: 847.392.2344.
- Self Help Closet and Pantry of Des Plaines, 769 Holiday Lane, Des Plaines. Open Tuesdays, 12:30-3 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Call 847.375.1443.
Utilities & Rental Assistance
- ComEd. Call 800.334.7661, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Finally, a reminder that you can conduct regular business with ComEd online 24/7 or through the ComEd Mobile App.
- Peoples Gas. Call 866.556.6001, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Saturday,7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Internet. Check out our Low Cost Internet Webpage. Also, Comcast is offering comprehensive resources and support during this time with free service and more.
- Illinois Housing Development Authority. Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) Program: call 312.836.5200.
- Housing Authority of Cook County and HACC Applicant Portal. Assistance finding housing.
- Niles Family Services, 999 Civic Center Drive, Niles. Counseling services offered to Niles residents and/or students/families that attend a Niles School. Contact 847.588.8460.
- Maine Township MaineStay Youth & Family Services. 1700 Ballard Road, Park Ridge. Counseling services offered at reduced cost/sliding fee. No one is turned away. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 847.297.2510 x 258, or complete the intake Counseling Inquiry Form.
- Turning Point. 8324 Skokie Blvd., Skokie. Accepts Medicaid and some provite insurnace. Call 847.933.0051.
- Metropolitan Family Services. 5210 Maine Street, Skokie. Accepts Medicaid and private insurance. Call 847.425.7500.
- Josselyn Center. 405 Central Ave, Northfield. Accepts all medicaid and some private insurance. (847) 441-5600.
- Call4Calm: Illinois Department of Human Services' free and anonymous support line. To speak to a mental health professional, text the word “TALK” or “HABLAR” (for Spanish speakers) to 552-020. Within 24 hours, you'll receive a call from a mental health professional employed by a local community health center. People can also text other terms, like “unemployment” or “food” or “shelter” to the same number to receive information on how to navigate and access supports and services.
- National Suicide Prevention Houline: The Lifeline provides 24/7 free and confidential support for people in distress, and prevention and crsisi resources for you or your loved ones. Call 800.273.8255.