Water Testing Results for East Maine School District 63
On January 16, 2017, Governor Bruce Rauner signed Senate Bill (SB) 0550 (Illinois Public Act 99-0922) into law. This law requires all school districts in Illinois to complete water testing at all Pre-K- 6 sites built before January 1, 2000. The law requires that all sources of non-bottled water that may be ingested by children under grade 1 be tested for the presence of lead.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) sets what is called an action level for lead in water at 15 parts per billion (ppb). However, the Illinois law establishes more stringent guidelines, requiring districts to notify the public if lead levels are found to be above 5 ppb.
Please note that neither the 15 ppb nor the state’s threshold of 5 ppb is a health-based standard. Both the EPA and state levels were set to trigger organizations to take action and mitigate the levels of lead, but are not accompanied by any requirements regarding medical
tests or healthcare.
District 63 hired RCM Inc., an environmental consulting service company, to conduct the sampling and testing of 112 fixtures, including drinking fountains and faucets, at Apollo, Nelson, Melzer, Mark Twain, Stevenson, and Washington schools. Out of the 112 fixtures, 9 tested
above the 5 ppb limit. The 9 units requiring attention were:
- Apollo teacher’s lounge sink on the west wall, south sink. –Faucet was replaced
- Apollo art room west wall sink.-Faucet was replaced
- Small room in Apollo art room, 2 sinks.-Sinks were not used by staff or students and were not needed in the room so the faucets were removed and the sinks capped.
- Sink in room 112 at Mark Twain.-Faucet was replaced.
- Drinking fountain in room 112 at Mark Twain.-Fountain was replaced.
- Sink in Melzer room 116.-Faucet was replaced.
- Sink in Melzer room 106.-Faucet was replaced.
- Sink in Washington room 129.-Faucet was replaced.
Please know that the safety of our students and staff is our top priority. Should you have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com.
Director of Operations