Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can my child bring their own computer or Chromebook?
- No, not at this time. Since this is a new program we want to minimize any potential technical issues due to the device. We will re-evaluate this at the end of the school year.
Q. Will students have their Internet content filtered at home on their issued Chromebook?
- Yes, students using a District 63 issued Chromebook will be filtered at all times to minimize the potential of their exposure to inappropriate content.
Q. Are there fees associated with the 1 to 1 Chromebook program?
- Yes, the Board of Education established an annual Chromebook fee of $60 for students taking the device home (grades 3 through 8).
- There are no fees for devices used in the classroom or for students who do not have take-home privileges.
- NOTE: Beginning in the Fall of 2020 all students in grades K-8 will be 1:1. Students in grades 3-8 will have take-home privileges.
Q. Does this mean students won’t learn how to write with a pen or pencil anymore?
Q. Will my child be learning different curriculum?
- No, students will still use paper and pencil. They will just spend an increased amount of time typing, which will help them improve their keyboarding skills.
Q. How will the District prevent cyberbullying?
- No, the curriculum and standards taught will be the same across the grade level. Chromebooks are another tool that will be used to deliver the curriculum.
Q. How much do replacement parts cost?The following are estimates on a couple of common parts:
- Students receive education on Digital Citizenship. Also, the same discipline procedures will be enforced as in any other situation of bullying or improper use of technology.
- LCD Bezel - $25
- LCD Screen - $50
- Keyboard - $50
- Speakers - $15
- USB Ports - $10
- Charger Port - $12
- Battery - $50
- Charging Cord - $35
- Motherboard - $120
- Top Cover - $30
- Bottom COver - $20
- Front Camera - $6