Health Information Requirements
Kindergarten: A current and completed State of Illinois Certificate of Child Health Examination, with immunization records. Vision and Dental Exam Forms, as required by the Illinois School Code.
2nd Grade: A current and completed Dental Exam Form, as required by the Illinois School Code.
6th Grade: A current and completed State of Illinois Certificate of Child Health Examination, with immunization records. Dental Exam Form, as required by the Illinois School Code.
New to the State of Illinois, or New to the Country: A current and completed State of Illinois Certificate of Child Health Examination, turned in within 30 days of their first day of school and an eye exam, as required by the Illinois School Code.
Immunization, Health, Eye and Dental ExaminationsAll students are required to present appropriate proof that he/she received a health examination and the immunizations against, and screenings for, preventable communicable diseases within one year prior to:
The required health examinations must include a diabetes screening (diabetes testing is not required) and a statement from a physician assuring that the student has been “risk-assessed” or screened for lead poisoning.Failure to comply with the above requirements by the first day of school of the current school year will result in the student’s exclusion from school until the required health forms are presented to the school, subject to certain exceptions. If a medical reason prevents a student from receiving a required immunization by the first day of school, the student must present, by the first day, an immunization schedule and a statement of the medical reasons causing the delay. The schedule and statement of medical reasons must be signed by an appropriate medical professional.
- Entering kindergarten, 1st and 6th grade.
- Enrolling in an Illinois school for the first time, regardless of grade.
Eye Examination: All students entering kindergarten or the school for the first time must present proof before October 15 of the current school year of an eye examination performed within one year prior to entry of kindergarten or the school. Failure to present proof by October 15 allows the school to hold the student’s report card until the student presents: (1) a completed eye examination, or (2) proof that an eye examination will take place within 60 days after October 15. This exam must be performed by a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist, separate from the brief exam during a regular pediatric visit.
Dental Examination: All children entering kindergarten, 2nd, 6th and 9th grades must present proof of having been examined by a licensed dentist before May 15 of the current school year. Failure to present proof allows the school to hold the child’s report card until the student presents: (1) proof of a completed dental examination, or (2) that a dental examination will take place within 60 days after May 15.
ExemptionsA student will be exempted from the above requirements for:
- Religious or medical grounds if the student’s parent/guardian presents to the building principal this Illinois Certificate of Religious Exemption to Required Immunizations and/or Examinations Form. Exemptions will not be approved without this form.
- Health examination or immunization requirements on medical grounds if a physician provides written verification.
- Eye examination requirement if the student’s parent/guardian shows an undue burden or lack of access to a physician licensed to practice medicine in all of its branches who provides eye examinations or a licensed optometrist.
- Dental examination requirement if the student’s parent/guardian shows an undue burden or a lack of access to a dentist.