Common Core State Standards
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are a set of English language arts and mathematics standards developed by state leaders, including governors and state commissioners of education, in response to concerns about the rigor of K-12 education in the United States. They are designed to ensure that students graduating from high school are career and college-ready -- and that parents, teachers, and students have a clear understanding of what is expected of them.The CCSS have been adopted by 45 states, four territories, the District of Columbia, and the Department of Defense Education Activity. Here in Illinois, they replace the former Illinois Learning Standards in these subjects (although state leaning standards for other subjects remain in place - see below). Find out more about the CCSS.How does instruction in District 63 reflect the CCSS?
In English language arts, instruction now focuses on:
- Building knowledge through content-rich nonfiction and informational texts.
- Using evidence from texts to present careful analyses, well-defended claims, and clear information.
- Regular practice with complex text and its academic vocabulary.
In mathematics, instruction has shifted to:
- Focusing deeply on only those concepts that are emphasized in the standards so that students can gain strong foundational conceptual understanding, a high degree of procedural skill and fluency, and the ability to solve complex problems.
- Coherence, encouraging students to think across grades and link to major topics within grades. In other words, each standard is not be viewed as a new event, but as an extension of previous learning.
- Rigor: Students are required to demonstrate conceptual understanding, procedural skill and fluency, and application with intensity.
How does District 63 measure students’ mastery of the CCSS?
Students are assessed through a number of tests; beginning in the 2018-2019 the new Illiois Assessment of Readiness takes place each spring.
What about subjects other than English language arts and mathematics?
The Illinois Learning Standards . . .As noted above, District 63 curriculum, instruction, and assessment are aligned to Illinois Learning Standards, which incorporate CCSS standards for English language arts and mathematics, Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), as well as social studies standards, and standards for other subjects. Find out more about the Illinois Learning Standards.